Today, we announced Google Cloud Storage Nearline. The announcement and various docs have all of the details, but here’s the quick scoop:
- It’s storage at $0.01/GB/Month! — so 1TB would be $10/month.
- Data retrieval is $0.01/GB (plus normal egres charges)
- Here’s the important part — Retrieval response time is only ~3 seconds (compared to 3 to 5 hours for AWS Glacier). After first byte, it’s 4 MB/s of throughput per TB of data stored.
- It uses the same command-line tools and APIs as the other Google Cloud Storage – it’s simply a new storage class.
- It’s available today (in beta) (it’s time to move my 120,000+ images to this new storage class!)
- Did you see the part about it being $0.01/GB/Month?!
Important links about Nearline storage: